ANDOVER'S NORMAN CHURCH was demolished in late 1840 to make way for the building of the present Victorian church of St Mary. Many have lamented the loss of the ancient building to the town, but until this time there has not been a complete survey of the surviving evidence for building and its development. By gathering and evaluating the variety of information available about the lost church, in this well illustrated book Martin Coppen describes and celebrates what was in its day one of the greatest Norman parish churches of Hampshire.
Published by Andover History and Archaeology Society
The cover picture is of the main surviving relic of the old church, the magnificent Norman west doorway, re-erected as an entrance to the churchyard from the High Street.
Scrivi una recensione per "Andover's Norman Church 1080: 1840: The Architecture and Development of Old St Mary, Andover, Hampshire, England"